Friday 27 March 2015

Kloster Plakstetten (Riedenburger) Naturtrüb Dunkles

Today we try the Kloster Plakstetten Naturtrüb Dunkles. this beer is brewed for the Benedictine Abbey at Plankstetten in the Oberpfalz. This is an abbey that I have visited a number of times and thus the beer is not a new one for me. This beer is brewed by the Riedenburger brewery, but it bears the name of the Monastery for which it is made.

The advertising people have produced this image of the bottle.


My dodgy photographic skills, in the lounge at 7pm on a Friday night, have produced this image, which also includes the beer in a glass. Ripper.


This Dunkles is quite dark. It is closer to the Stout end of the colour scale I would say. If you shine a light behind it or hold it up to the sun, there is plenty of rich red in there though, depending on how bright your light is or how close to the sun you go (a journey during which I am led to believe it gets very cold for a while, and then extremely hot again). The pour has a quickly flattening head. I don't know if this is noteworthy.. but I noted it. In my notebook.

The nose is lightly astringent with some toasted smells. There's a tiny bit of grassiness in there too, perhaps something floral, but not nearly as floral as Euan Roger's glasses.

The taste backs up the nose, almost 1:1. This is what I have cleverly named "WYSIWYG" (What you smell is what you get). This is an entirely new concept that bears no creative relationships to "WYSIWYG" (What you see is what you get). The taste is relatively long, revealing a bitter biscuity finish (as opposed to a buttery biscuit base). The aforementioned toastiness is well done without being smokey and I expect this beer would make an excellent accompaniment to a plate of Surf'n'turff.

Solid drinking. I award this one a 5 out of 7.

X X X X X - - 


No comments:

Post a Comment