Wednesday 18 February 2015

Ehrenberger Pilgerstoff

In the last hour I have had the pleasure of enjoying an Ehrenberger Pilgerstoff.  This beer comes from the far northwest of Bayern, namely Oberfranken. When bottled, the beer arrives in 500ml serves. The ABV for this beer is 5.2%.

I was unable, in the 20 seconds that I typically give myself, to find an advertising photo if the beer in a glass. I did however, find this image online;

My own image is somewhat less prepared, but at least I can Boston the nectar itself, glowing in the shared light of a 40w energy saving bulb;

Pilgerstoff is a Märzen/Dunkles beer. It glows red, like many of the dark beers from this part of Bayern. The nose is entirely pleasant.  There us some toffee, fruits an (if you can convince yourself a little) the lightest smokiness.

The flavour is well rounded,  warm  and rich. There are some hops, with their attendant bitterness,  but this is fleeting.  The main contribution is toffee, malt and a squeeze of apple. Overall the beer is sweet and inviting. Happily, I did not find myself wishing that I were drinking this during a different season.

Pilgerstoff is a real goodie. I grant it a 6 out of 7.

X X X X X X -

No comments:

Post a Comment